Sunday, January 6, 2013

American Tree Sparrow - January 6, 2013

Came home today from birding and saw a sparrow under my hopper feeder which is currently filled with black oiled sunflower seed (BOSS).  Looking closer at it, I saw a central breast spot and a rusty/brown cap on its forehead - an American Tree Sparrow and since I just got back from birding, my camera was with me!

 According to Sibley, the American Tree Sparrow (Spizella arborea) winter in small flocks in weedy or bushy areas.

The American Tree Sparrow winters in a large part of the United States - from Maine to eastern half or Washington and south to the Oklahoma/Texas border.

The summer, and breeding, range of the American Tree Sparrow goes from the northern part of Quebec through Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and Yukon Territory of Canada and all of Alaska.


Sibley, David Allen. National Audubon Society: The Sibley Guide to Birds. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2000. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment