Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sunday March 10, 2013 - Southport & Westport

Hooded Mergansers
Brants
Between school work, things to do around the house work, and snow, I had not been down to Southport Beach (F airfield) and Sherwood Island State Park in Westport.  So today was the day to go down!

My first stop was Southport Beach - the Beach, the water across the street, and then the house with the pond in front of it. 

Herring Gulls
DATA:  9:45-10:12 am; 42F; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS:  Brants 100 ; Herring Gulls 50; male Mallard; Black Duck 2; Hooded Merganser 3 male/5 female; Red-winged Blackbird heard; Mourning Dove; Crow 4





My next stop was Burying Hill Beach which is across from Green Farms Academy School. 
DATA:  10:19-10:45am; 43F; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS:  Black Ducks 8; Red-Breasted Mergansers 11; American Goldeneye 2; Herring Gull 10; Long-Tailed Duck 2

On the way out of the gate, I saw birds in the wetlands near Green Farms Academy and decided to pull the car over for a look.
DATA:  10:47 am; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS:  Black Ducks 8; Canada Goose 30; Mute Swans 2

Before heading to Sherwood Island, I decided to try the Longshore Country Club and see what might be on the golf course, in the ponds, and on the river near by.  I drove up and parked behind the restaurant.  I did not expect to see much so I did not take my camera with me - bad choice.
DATA:  11:00-11:15am; 44F; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS:  Canada Goose 80; American Widgeon 8; Bufflehead 2; Red-Tailed Hawk 1; Hooded Merganser 1m/6f

Mockingbird
I then drove on Hills Point Road to get over to Sherwood Island.  However, just past a beach area, I noticed a gray bird on the ground.  I pulled over onto the side of the road, got out of the car - this time with camera - and started to move slowly towards the bird.  It looked like a mockingbird but it did not have the long tail of a mocker but when it flew off into a shrub, I saw the white wing bars of a mocker.


DATA:  11:20am; 44F; ; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS:  Mockingbird, Black Ducks 12

Sanderling
Robin
Finally, I got to Sherwood Island.  I birded the right side from the pavilion to the evergreens at the entrance then over to the viewing stand by the river.



DATA:  11:33-12:25 pm; 43F; clear; sunny; breezy

Sanderling
 
Spot the Sanderling?
BIRDS:  Canada Goose 100+; Starling 100+; Killdeer 2; Red-Winged Blackbird 10; Robin 2; Blue Jay; Titmouse; Chickadee; Grackle; White-Throated Sparrow; Junco 2; Red-Tailed Hawk; Red-Shouldered Hawk; Bufflehead 2 male; Sanderling 2; Mute Swan 2; Black Duck 60; Ring-Billed Gull 3; Herring Gull 100+; Brant 6


Am. Tree Sparrow (digiscoped)
After a water and granola bar break, I went over to the Nature Center area with scope to see what was there.  There had been reports during the week of an immature white-crowned sparrow by the feeder but I did not see it.
DATA:  1:11-2:05 pm; 46F; clear; sunny; breezy
BIRDS: Chickadee; Red-Winged Blackbirds 8; Mourning Dove; American Tree Sparrow 9




No comments:

Post a Comment