Sunday, May 5, 2013

April 30, 2013 - Jamaica Bay, New York

Butterfly House
Empire State Building
Since I was going to pick up my grand daughter at JFK Airport, I figured I would also do some birding at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge



My only other time there was on April 7, 1979 on a field trip for my Bird Identification course I was taking at the University of Bridgeport.

Mute Swan

Canada Goose



I walked the trail around the West Pond going as far as teh brreach made by Hurricane Sandy, turned around, back tracked, and then went through the North and South Garden areas back to the Visitor's Center.  Also, because of the breach, the West Pond has become brackish.

Forester's Tern (white body)


Prickly Pear Cactus
 I had forgotten that you can see the New York City skyline from Jamaica Bay and even saw the new WTC Tower going up as well as the Empire State Building.





Tree Swallow


Snowy Egret (note yellow feet)
 I had also forgotten how Jamaica Bay is better known for shore birds than passerines (perching birds) which would explain the numbers that I saw of some species

.

 SPECIES:

Tree Swallow
New World Trade Center Tower

 Brant (295), Canada Goose (14), Mute Swan (5), Mallard (3), Shoveler (6), Great Egret (4), Snowy Egret (5), Glossy Ibis (3), Osprey (2), Herring Gull (8), Great Black-Backed Gull, Forster's Tern (3), Mourning Dove, Crow, Tree Swallow (30), Robin (7), Mockingbird (2), Brown Thrasher (2), Yellow Warbler (2), Red-Winged Blackbird (4), Common Grackle (3)



 
 DATA:

Glossy Ibis
Northern Shoveler


   64F; Sunny; Partly Cloudy, Light Breezes; 12:23 - 3:04 pm





Mute Swan
Yellow Warbler (male)

Yellow Warbler (male)
























No comments:

Post a Comment